Child Form: Dynamic Prefill

We are pleased to announce that we have introduced a feature in which you can prefill the fields in child form dynamically using an Airtable field.

For more information about this feature, please visit this article: How to prefill child forms? | miniExtensions for Airtable

Your feedback is valuable to us, and we would love to hear any comments or suggestions you may have. Please do not hesitate to share your thoughts with us by leaving a comment below or by contacting us via chat.

2 Likes

This is great! I was not able to get it to work with recordIDs for linked records though, only the text of a linked record. Also, is there a way to pre-fill based on a logged-in portal user?

Hi, I know that prefill isn’t supposed to be used for editing records, but I have a use case where I would want to dynamically fill a couple of fields based on the logged-in user on an edit child form. As far as I’m aware, there isn’t even an easy way to automatically fill even a static value in a way that is invisible to the user.

Currently, if I want to automatically fill a static value to an edit child form, I would have to enter a default value in the field setup and put them in an empty section header to sort of hide it from the user. Even then, if the user accidentally clicked the section header and revealed the “hidden” fields, then they would be able to change the default value.

I’ve tried an alternative to set the field to read-only, but then read-only removes the option to have a default value as well as hiding the field using a condition that would always hide the field. But if the field is hidden, then no edit for the hidden field occurs.

I recently thought of another way to implement dynamically filling an edit child form by having a formula field that would display a webhook with the value sent being the prefill condition and having an external service like Make perform the fill. But alas it takes an external service and I think it would be great if you could just apply the same prefill concept and just change the name to automatically fill on an edit child form and have it work the same way as prefill.

Hi @ray. Welcome to miniExtensions forum. Using record ID in prefilling linked records field should be working. Please send us a message in a chat so we can get more details from you about your setup.

Hi @briansport13. Thank you for sharing your feedback. I have created a ticket for your request and will keep you informed of any updates through this communication channel.